April 28, 2008

...just do it...

Nope. This is not a plug for Nike. It's not a plug for anything really.
You see I have been waiting for my buddy Darren to send me some pictures before I posted again. For some reason I wanted my next blog to be all about how amazing it was to work for Casting Crowns at the Dove Awards last week. Man, I could see it in my mind...all the pictures and witty comments. It was going to be awesome. So I just quit posting as I waited. Sure there were things I thought would make an interesting blog, but I didn't want to deviate from "the plan". How dumb is that?!
Well that got me thinking (that and my New Testament exam today). When was the last time you did something half way or half heartedly? What was going through your head? How did you feel afterwards? I called my dad today after the exam and he of course asked how it went. My initial response was "It was hard!" but then I was honest with myself and in that moment decided to share my realization.
I told him that I know I didn't do so well (which might have been the understatement of the century). His first words were "Well that's not good Case." I of course agreed. The fact is I was not invested in this exam. I should have been, but I wasn't. Do you ever do this? Why do we do this?
Again I ask... When was the last time you did knowingly less than your best? Why?
Now I know we all do things for different reasons. Some of us even slip in to just do it or just get it done and forget about it mode. This approach can  be taken for lots of different reasons
  • Just finish it so you can move on.
  • At least do the work so no one can talk bad about you.
  • Once it's over. It's over.
How terrible do these statements sound? But you know at some point you've thought it. Am I right?

So. How do we overcome the just do its? And what do we do with ourselves when there are the time we don't do it at all? Thoughts?

2 comments:

Steph said...

hey, i just discovered your blog and I was thinking about your half-hearted question. My pastor in college told me the story of when he was going through seminary and part of their final was to sign that they had done all of the reading. He couldn't sign it because he knew he hadn't and he ended up getting a "C" in the class because of it, but he still feels like there were more important ways for him to spend his time than to do all of the class reading. The truth is, being human, we can't do everything full-heartedly. Could you have done better on the exam? Probably. Would it have been the best use of your time to have studied more? That's for you to figure out.

Anonymous said...

The Tricky part is staying invested in something you are committed to when you are trying to fully invest in the next step of life. And I think you would agree that we BOTH have potential to be in that boat.