September 19, 2008

HOW BIG IS YOUR GOD?

Lots of different experiences come together at the front of one's mind every now and then to create the proverbial "Ah ha", "Duh", or "Oh crap!" moments. You with me? Know what I'm talkin' about? Here are some of the experiences followed my the moment.


CRASH: BHS has this FCA type event on Friday mornings (at freaking 6:30. shoot me in the face), and this morning I spoke and lead worship for 'em. It was fun. We sang Mighty To Save and Julie Wafford and Kelsie Overton were worshiping like nobody's business in that little, off white class room surrounded my classmates and friends. It warmed my heart.Savior. He can move the mountains. My God is Mighty to Save. FOREVER. Author of salvation; He rose and conquered the grave.
All the while Travis was speaking at Ravenwood's FCA. I figured we got done about the same time, so as I was leaving I texted him. Our exchange went something like this (starting with me): "It went well I think. 7 souls were saved, 3 re-dedications, 6 re re re-dedications, and one girl even decided to start loving her mother. Have a great day." "Wow. I only saved 3 souls, but there were 8 levitations and two ppl dancing in the isles and speaking in tongues." "Cool. I've never had any levitations but a kid did call down fire once last year." "Yeah. That kinda reminds me of the girl who turned in to salt after I warned her to stop texting during my talk."
Now you know Trav and I, so you know we were just joking.

POLITICS: Best friend Ben is an educated dude. A lawyer, an aspiring politician, and he is well read. He always has some sort of political commentary, world news satire, or the like on our tv. I imagine it's like ESPN or Sports Center in a freshman guys dorm room. Even if he is working on something or in another room it is on and loud enough to hear. Last night as he was working and I was reading the Colber Report was on back to back...to back. Every once in a while Ben would chuckle or talk to the tv while I was trying my hardest to focus on the pages before me. Anyway, at this point in our upcoming election everyone is focused on all the changes that are being promised. How will the next Pres save the world? What are the issues that he or she (well not anymore) will stand for or against?

BAG-O AND BURGERS: I was at a birthday party a few weeks ago (we played bag-o and ate burgers...don't worry about it) at the LaRue house. Party conversation swarmed the house and the back yard (where the bag-o was happening), and like it often does one pocket of discussion, which I was in, turned to "christian" stuff. Phillip's dad told us about a book he was reading that is a collection of miracles experienced in other countries by missionaries. He told of healing, watching whole limbs grow back in front of your very eyes like in the movies, and even the occasional raising of the dead...like a couple of days dead. Of course we we're all like Mmmm Hmm. Okay. But then he said something that has stayed with me. He said "You know, here [in America] we have options and doctors and stuff. In some of these other places there are no other options. It is God or not at all."

THE MOMENT: How "far" have we come that we doubt miracles, joke about people experiencing the living Christ, and look to our government to fix things? The president may be invested in our country, but He has never invested in me. Politicians may be pro this and anti that, but loving believers took me in and taught me. Church and State may be separated, but the Church that Jesus preached is about healing the state by healing those in it. This love and healing in not in legislation. It is in the heart of the Living God, who is not a joke. I expect a normal dude downtown to cure my runny nose, why do I question that my God is healing people around the world.
We sing God is "Mighty to Save" so why don't we expect him to? We sing Jesus is "More than Enough" so why don't we let him be? So I ask you how big is your God? Or maybe it is how big do you let God be?

2 comments:

h said...

love it dude. this was a great way to start my day, seriously.

sghughes1297 said...

*Incredible* perspective. I especially like the part that began & ended: "he may be invested in the country, but he's never invested in me... healing the state by healing those in it."
Great stuff!