September 16, 2008

I answered my own question (see previous post)

Actually in my mind it wasn’t really a question. I simply asked it to offer pause and thought to all who read my thought here… all four of you. I figured maybe it could generate some good conversation for youth, friends, roommates or even strangers. For me the answer lies in a bit of scripture that I have kept close to my heart for many years now.

“You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everybody. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.”

2 Corinthians 3: 2-3

Thinking about all this also reminded me of some words from the great Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (‘cause he is way cooler than I).

“If any of you are around when I have to meet my day, I don’t want a long funeral. And if you get somebody to deliver the eulogy, tell them not to talk to long. Every now and then I wonder what I want them to say. Tell them not to mention that I have a Nobel Peace Prize; that isn’t important. Tell them not to mention that I have three or four hundred other awards; that is not important. Tell them not to mention where I went to school. I’d like somebody to mention that day that Martin Luther King Jr. tried to love somebody.”

We all do lots of different things for lots of different reasons, but I hope we each come to a place where we end up simply living our lives out of a genuine response to the Living Christ in our midst. 

1 comment:

Kelly said...

First of all, you changed your blog layout. Kinda freaked me out at first but now I'm impressed.

Second of all- you did your job well. Your blog provoked thought and conversation in my neck of the woods.

And the best thing I could come up with is that parable in Matthew where those two blind guys (you know the ones) tell Jesus to heal them. And Jesus is like "you really think I can do that" and they are like "well...yeah." And so Jesus tells them "Become what you believe." and they can see and all is well.

Well I think that the becoming what we believe is where people forget that we are not capable of being like Jesus on our own. He empowers us to become like Him, and we so often forget that it is by His power that we can be that way. You know this I know that, I'm just adding my two sense in.

I know I'm not loving, but God is and the more I get to know HIm and believe in His love, the more that love seeps out of me and starts taking over my natural selfish nature.

Case in point: Madeleine L'Engle (who you should really read if you haven't already) says it this way: "In a very real sense, not one of us is qualified but it seems that God continually chooses the most unqualified to do His work, or to bear His glory. If we are qualified, we tend to think that we have done the job ourselves. If we are forced to accept our evident lack of qualification, then there's no danger that we will confuse God's work with our own or God's glory with our own."

See- now I've left a way too long comment that may not even be on the subject of your blog. But those are my thoughts of the week and I need to share.

Hope you are having fun being a rock star. Can't wait to hear stories.

-kg