September 22, 2008

The run away song

If you have read any books about writing like Ann Lamont's Bird By Bird or Annie Dillard'sThe Writing Life (seriously who does that?!) you will notice a theme. The same theme can be found on some of my favorite songwriter's blogs. The idea is to let the work go where it wants. If you have an idea and start writing and the story, theme or direction begins to change, go with it. Very rarely, in my experience, does the song or story come out exactly as I planned or outlined. This is especially the case in the studio. I never consider a song "finished" until the album is printed up and in the consumers hands, but even then I reserve the right as the songwriter to mess with it in performance. 
Nothing about today was any different. I worked on the song I started yesterday all day long. It is taking a shape I really enjoy and sounding good, but it's not totally my original idea I scratched out yesterday morning on a paper towel (sometimes you gotta rock what you got before it goes away). AND today the first of NashVin's friends stopped in to record some fun parts on the new tune. You should be able to hear some rough demos soon.





No comments: